What steps does family of a veteran take to get home caregiver services?

In brief: See below
I would contact veteran's affairs office.

In brief: See below
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. Anthony LaBarbera
Dr. G. Allen Williams
The benefits available to veterans unfortunately are often time related to the percentage of disability. Caregiver benefits are usually reserved for 100% disabled vets. A specific for form "Aid & Attendance" needs to be completed by a physician for starters.
Dr. Erin Robertson
General Practice
In brief: So far where are you
in process? Although it's no longer mandatory, you have the option of seeing the MEB doc in person.
I highly recommend that if activities of daily life are affected. The doc's report will impact PEB decisions regarding ratings. Your PEBLO is a great resource for coordinating handoff to the VA from the MTF. An accepting VA nurse should be reviewing this w/you. Wounded Warrior Project is great too.

In brief: So far where are you
Dr. Erin Robertson
Dr. Erin Robertson
Dr. Jonathan Jassey