Is head bandage better or headband after otoplasty forprominent ears in adults?

Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Varies by surgeon
Thr postoperative regimen will vary by surgeon.
In my practice i will ask patients wear a very compressive head bandage forapproximately the first 24 hours. Then they are asked to wear a headband or other covering over the ears for 24hrs x 7 days and then at night for an additional 14 days.

In brief: Varies by surgeon
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. J David Holcomb
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: Both
The ear(s) is/are carefully supported and a gauze head wrap is placed to protect the ears during the first night after surgery.
After that a headband should be used during sleep to avoid inadvertently bending the ears forward and popping stitches and causing bleeding. Cartilaze is a new laser ear contouring procedure that can give very good results without surgery.

In brief: Both
Dr. J David Holcomb
Dr. J David Holcomb
Dr. David Sherris
Facial Plastic Surgery
In brief: Either
Whatever is more comfortable is fine.
I use a bandage one night then switch to a band on day one.

In brief: Either
Whatever is more comfortable is fine.
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. David Sherris
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Either short term
After otoplasty, our concern is that the patient will roll over in his/her sleep and "fold" the corrected ear forward.
I generally have my patients wear a loose headband while sleeping for about 6 weeks to keep this from happening. A great headband for this can be made by cutting a headband sized piece out of the thigh area of nylon pantyhose: lightweight, cheap and replaceable.

In brief: Either short term
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Arnon Rubin