What would the additional cost of a tummy tuck be if a panniculectomy was done covered by insurance?

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Depends

The additional costs involved are the surgeon's fee, the facility fee, and the anesthesiologist's fee.
Insurance usually pays a tiny fraction of the full cost of a cosmetic surgery.

In brief: Depends

Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Bryan McIntosh
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Panniculectomy

Insurance reimbursement for a panniculectomy is very little and i agree with my colleagues that 'paying additional for a tummy tuck' is ethically questionable and can be considered insurance fraud.
Most surgeons know better and do not even give this option to you.

In brief: Panniculectomy

Dr. Matthew Schulman
Dr. Matthew Schulman
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: It won't

Insurance will not cover an abdominoplasty.
.. You're not really supposed to "pay the difference" to"upgrade" to an abdominoplasty. I have heard of cases where the insurance has denied the claim and the patient ended up with a heft bill.

In brief: It won't

Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. Daniel Careaga
Dr. John Di Saia
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Be careful

Insurers are getting wary of this and some might deny coverage of your operation afterward and you will get a bill for the whole thing.
I do not do these for this reason.

In brief: Be careful

I do not do these for this reason.
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. John Di Saia
Dr. Otto Placik
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Panniculx=skin only

A panniculectomy is a skin removal procedure.
However a tummy tuck also includes other interventions to achieve enhanced body contouring such as rectus muscle diastasis repair, suction assisted lipectomy (liposuction), thigh lifting, mons pubic reduction/lift, umbilicoplasty and many other procedures. Furthermore it may not be advisable to perform these simultaneously insurers may cover some/none.

In brief: Panniculx=skin only

Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Otto Placik
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Surgery - Plastics

In brief: Varies

The cost for a tummy tuck will vary according to the geographic area.
Discuss this with your surgeon. A typical tummy tuck is $7, 500 in my practice in the el paso area. You can expect about a 30-50% discount if your panniculectomy has been approved.

In brief: Varies

Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Francisco Agullo
Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery