Open lung biopsy with a camera -how dangerous is this?

Safe. Small risk of bleeding and pneumothorax. May have a small chest tube after. Obtains large amount of tissue for diagnosis and can remove the lesion.
Major surgery. "open lung biopsy" is major surgery. But, it is a very common/routine procedure done across the country everyday with reasonably low morbidity and mortality. Your risk is individualized and should be discussed with your thoracic surgeon. The key factors are really your health and risk factors before surgery and "why you require a lung biopsy? ".