How would you handle handle treatment with someone whose culture states no eye contact.?

Dr. Donald Morris
Ophthalmology

In brief: I would not

I have never come across someone who came to my office with such a requirement.
I probably would suggest he or she go to the competition down the block, .

In brief: I would not

Dr. Donald Morris
Dr. Donald Morris
Dr. Mark Golden
Ophthalmology

In brief: No eye contact

Those whose culture allow no contact with the eye should be able to have a complete eye examination except for a check of pressures which is the only part that requires actual contact.
The appearance of the optic nerve and results of a visual field should give a decision of glaucoma without contact. The patient can then decide if they would want the use of drops depending.

In brief: No eye contact

Dr. Mark Golden
Dr. Mark Golden
2 comments
Dr. Richard Bensinger
I believe the question is aimed at the issue of the impoliteness or aggressivness felt to be present in some cultures when direct viewing (eye contact) is made. During an exam this should not be an issue as these cultures allow suspension of that aspect in true interpersonal interactions. That would include medical examinations.
Dr. Mark Golden
Thank you
Dr. Jack Hinkle