Big breasts, back pain?

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Physical & Rehabilitation Medicine

I have seen many women with large breasts complain of back pain particularly in the middle part of the spine and often in the neck and upper thoracic spine.
It is important to have a well fitting bra to support thebreasts.Also, I have found that women do better when the straps of the bra that rest on the shouldersare thicker and more padded so they do not dig in. Pt can help. Breast reduction last.

Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jay Rosenfeld
Dr. Jeffrey Albright
Integrative Medicine

In brief: See Correlation

Patients with big breasts often complain of increased mid-back pain, particularly at the apex of the thoracic curve, and upper trapezius regions.
Chiropractic may be beneficial to relieve increase pain and stiffness in mid back. Strengthening rehabilitation exercises, such as rows may be beneficial to aid posture.

In brief: See Correlation

Dr. Jeffrey Albright
Dr. Jeffrey Albright
Dr. Vic Kalman
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Can occur

Large breasts can pull the shoulders forward causing strain throughout the upper back muscles and muscles between shoulder blades.
The muscles of the neck can also be affected. These same muscles are postural muscles which can fatigue as well and be subject to stress. It is important to get a properly fitting bra that supports the breasts and upper back appropriately. Be proactive don't be in pain.

In brief: Can occur

Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. Vic Kalman
Dr. Jane Van Dis