Multiple sclerosis cause loss of use of hands?

Pathology

In brief: It can

Lesions of MS are present at multiple locations in the brain and spinal cord.
Depending on the anatomic location of the lesions, a person could lose the use of hands. Legs are generally affected more than arms.

In brief: It can

If hands do seem relatively more involved than legs, one might consider a co-morbidity, such as associated carpal tunnel syndrome.

In brief: Consider this

Ms could directly affect hand use, but typically, it involves arm also, and thus, a limb effect, and the loss of use typically occurs during the secondary progressive phase.
Often this is reversible, even then, with appropriate treatment. However, many of my patients have experienced carpal tunnel superimposed, and this is readily reversed. So, you need potent ms meds and comorbidities addressed.

In brief: Consider this

Dr. Marsha Davis