How do I understand what my baby needs and wants?

Dr. Tod Haller
Ophthalmology
In brief: You won't
There is no way to tell! sorry! you just need to roll with the punches.
Just keep in mind that babies cry essentially for 4 reasons... Hungry/thirsty, diaper change, tired and constipated. Once those are covered, the child will likely relax. If the child is more fussy than usual, then that is a sign a child may be sick.Then you need a doctor.

In brief: You won't
Dr. Tod Haller
Dr. Tod Haller
Dr. Ecaterina Sartina
Also child likes to socialize as well, then pick him up and play a little, but do not overstimulate.
Dr. Roy Benaroch
In brief: Try
At first, it's mostly trial and error; but you'll get better at learning your own baby's signals.
Pay attention to noises baby makes, what they look at, how excited they seem, and how they react to what you're doing for them. You'll get it!

In brief: Try
Dr. Roy Benaroch
Dr. Roy Benaroch