My doctor told me to take 325mg ferrous sulfate 2x day for anemia. I bought carbonyl iron.Should I adjust my dosage if at all?

Dr. Louis Cooper

In brief: Why anemia?

Ibuprofen may cause gastritis.
Why are you anemic? Menstrual blood loss needs to replace iron in blood lost during menses. Blood in stool? Not familiar with carbonyl iron--what is the brand? Iron should not be taken with milk or milk products within hour of milk meal, as this decreases iron absorption. My favorite iron brand is Vitron C--causes less stomach symptoms.

In brief: Why anemia?

Ibuprofen may cause gastritis.
Dr. Inaam Schneider
Take your iron supplement with Vit C to improve absorption . He supplement that is easiest on GI tract , less Nausea and less constipation is ferrous Gluconate .
Dr. Martin Rubenstein
Internal Medicine - Hematology & Oncology

In brief: No change in dose

Slow release versions of iron, such as carbonyl iron, are less likely to cause GI side effects.
The actual amount of iron in the tablets may be the same or a bit more than in regular ferrous sulfate, but it terms of dose, follow the recommendation you were given for twice daily administration. Absorption is better if taken on an empty stomach. If GI problems take with food, but not dairy.

In brief: No change in dose

Dr. Tarik Hadid

You may want to look at the amount of elemental iron and not the raw iron.
The amount differs from a band to another.

Dr. Steven Seres