Do u have to have a period to ovulate? Can you still get pregnant if I don't have a period but ovulate? How can I tell that I'm ovulating?

Dr. Doyle Huey

In brief: Ovulation and period

You don't have to have a period to ovulate, it is usually the other way around.
Usually, the only way you would not have a period if you ovulate is if you are pregnant. It is hard to tell exactly when you ovulate but it is usually around mid-cycle day 12. You can monitor your basal body temperature and cervical mucous to better predict the time of ovulation.

In brief: Ovulation and period

Dr. Doyle Huey
Dr. Doyle Huey
Dr. Natalie Sieb

In brief: Ovulation proof

If you are not bleeding, then you are either pregnant or are having very irregular periods.
When was your last period? If you count your cycle (Day 1 is the first day of bleeding, and count to how ever many days until you start bleeding again), and it is around 28-30 days, then you would ovulate around day 14-15.If you aren't having a period then you might not be ovulating at all. Talk to your doc

In brief: Ovulation proof

Dr. Natalie Sieb
Dr. Natalie Sieb
Dr. Adam Levy