Knee pain, instability, and painful cracking. MRI notes meniscal degeneration, no tear and severe osteoarthritis. Am I looking at a knee replacement?

Dr. Robert Roschmann
Internal Medicine - Rheumatology

In brief: Maybe

Although the MRI shows severe Osteoarthritis the decision about knee replacement is based on how you are functioning rather than the MRI image.
Physical Therapy, medications, weight control and non drug interventions (such as Tai Chi) can help to reduce pain/improve function. You may want to discuss a comprehensive program with your health care provider as well as an Orthopedic doctor.

In brief: Maybe

Dr. Robert Roschmann
Dr. Robert Roschmann
2 comments
Dr. Inaam Schneider
Weight loss will be most helpful in reducing pressure on your joint snd improve your recovery time should you come to knee replacement . You might be able to push back the surgery by having some injections . One brand is Synvisc . You can discuss this with your orthopedic physician . Your pain will be your guide as to when you should have your knee replacement .
Dr. Martin Raff
All of my orthopedic friends say that you will absolutely know it when you really need a knee prosthesis. Until then take Dr. Roschmann's advice and hope you get much better.
Dr. Adam Smith