Do I see gynecologic oncology for breast lump?

Dr. Barry Rosen
Surgery
In brief: See a breast surgeon
Most breast cancer operations are performed in the us by general surgeons such as myself.
However, some gynecologic oncologists perform breast surgery, as well. I recommend that you seek out a referral from your primary care doctor, gynecologist, or local breast center. Remember, while most breast lumps are benign, it is best not to delay evaluation.

In brief: See a breast surgeon
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Barry Rosen
Dr. Deanna Attai
Breast Surgery
In brief: Usually not
Usually you would see a gynecologic oncologist for a problem with the uterus or ovaries.
A breast surgeon or possibly a gynecologist is probably the best person to see to evaluate a breast lump. However if you are already seeing a gynecologic oncologist for another problem, certainly mention your lump to them and they can begin the evaluation process.

In brief: Usually not
Dr. Deanna Attai
Dr. Deanna Attai
Dr. Sean Canale
Breast Surgery
In brief: No, breast surgeon
Health care today is subspecialized.
Gyn one's focus on the pelvis and female reproductive organs. For breast issues, seek out specialization and interest devoted to the breast - a breast surgeon. In addition to expert clinical evaluation, the breast surgeon will be able to direct the appropriate diagnostic evaluation, poss. Perform breast ultrasound, and do min invasive/core bx as indicated.

In brief: No, breast surgeon
Health care today is subspecialized.
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Sean Canale
Dr. Steven Vasilev
Gynecology - Oncology
In brief: Not usually
Some gynecologic oncologists and ObGyn doctors have received special training in breast diseases.
Most have not, beyond screening and general counseling, at least not in the USA. Multiple docs (e.g. family med, surgeons, internists) may be able to determine if you need a biopsy or determine best additional testing. However, there are surgeons specifically fellowship trained in breast diseases.

In brief: Not usually
Dr. Steven Vasilev
Dr. Steven Vasilev
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham