What kind of diet is best for preventing gestational diabetes?

Lo carb, no sugar. Gestational diabetes is the result of excessive sugar and carbohydrate intake which causes high blood sugar levels, which then make your Insulin levels rise. Plus the hormone changes in preg make prob worse. . Over time the chronically high Insulin levels lead to Insulin resistance and you will need to make higher and higher levels of insulin. A lo carb, no sugar diet is effective for many women.
Well balanced. The american diabetes association recommends a diet that is well-balanced. But the main issue is not gaining too much weight during pregnancy. Make sure to monitor your weight with your ob, gaining as deemed individually appropriate. The heavier you were when you got pregnant, the less weight you may need to gain during the pregnancy.