In brief: Oral treatment

Toes nail fungal infection, aka onychomycosis, requires oral anti fungal treatment.
Topical anti-fungal creams are not able to penetrate into the deep nail bed tissue where the infection lives.

In brief: Oral treatment

Dr. Doug Mason
Creams and home remedies do not penetrate the nail plate very well. If you see your Podiatrist, he can get better medication that could help. Fungus is a tough problem to cure. It also depends on how old your son is. A culture may also be needed to verify that there is fungus present before any oral treatment is done.
Dr. Anita Patil

In brief: Vicks vaporub

Anecdotal evidence that rubbing Vicks vaporub into the affected nail every night can help.
Since nail grows so slow, you have to give it 12-18 months to see the results. Otherwise oral Lamisil (terbinafine) for 3 months with same amount of wait time to notice results.

In brief: Vicks vaporub

Dr. Doug Mason
Vicks vapor rub is a myth. It will not affect fungus in any way. It will soften the nail plate and make it small like mentholyptus. It really depends on how old your son is. I would not give him Lamisil if he is younger than a teenager. I would see a Podiatrist to get a full evaluation so you can get all your options.
Dr. Cindy Juster