What is the best OTC medication to prevent and treat migraine headache?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: NSAIDs

The use of NSAIDs to prevent migraine is usually recommended during those time periods in which a migraine is most likely to be triggered.
To lessen the need for acute pharamcologic therapy, prophylactic drug therapy and nonpharmacologic therapies are used. Some patients who experience frequent severe headaches may require both abortive and prophylactic therapy. Hope it makes sense?

In brief: NSAIDs

Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin

In brief: NSAID's to treat

For ACUTE treatment best OTC's in my opinion with evidence based studies would be NSAIDS (ibuprofen/Motrin or Excedrin).
However, I caution you that treating severe migraines with NSAID's using OTC takes knowledge and skill in order to avoid the common pitfall of overtreating. For PREVENTION- feverfew & butterbur but CAUTION! Butterbur- Severe liver damage if not properly purified and labeled.

In brief: NSAID's to treat

Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
3 comments
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Dariush Saghafi,your point is well taken.My example: since increased prostaglandin formation may be responsible for triggering or influencing menstrual migraine, NSAID therapy may be effective when given the week before and the week during menses. NSAIDs may also be used when traveling or during those special functions that involve increased stress such as a wedding. I manage migraine daily.
Dr. Dariush Saghafi
Dr. Grin- I like your thought of NSAID's used prophylactically for specialized situations & short periods. I use it in my headache practice with success.You may try adding tizanidine (1-2 mg) to Naprosyn in patients refractory to straight NSAIDs. Amerge also useful prophylactically in menstrual migraine though I always try to stay with NSAID regimens first before going to triptans.
Dr. Vikram Patel