Can there be facial muscle spasms from tmj?

Yes? What is the question? If you're asking about treatment, apply moist heat to the face, ask your doctor to prescribe a muscle relaxant, massage the muscles, eat soft, non-chewy foods. If you're asking about prevention, bite plates or splints can be made by dentists or ENT docs who specialize in TMJ treatment.
Very common. Sure, TMJ problems can cause facial muscle spasms. It's usually the jaw muscles, on the side of the jaw (the masseter muscle) and on the side of the head or temples (the temporalis muscle) that go into spasm and cause pain from TMJ problems.
Need an orthotic. Muscle spasms in the facial muscles can be related to TMJ dysfunction. If you have a malocclusion (bad bite), the disc within tm joint can disarticulate, leading to the impingement of nerve tissue. Near the TMJ area there are 2 main nerve branches, one if which is the facial nerve. Impingement on this nerve may lead to spasm. You need to see your dentist so an orthotic can be constructed for you.
Very common. Muscle spams from tmj/tmd can be very common, normally on one side of the the face. If you get this quite a bit, I would not hesitate seeing your dentist and address the problem asap. The source of the problem needs to be discovered, if possible, and therapy and/or a mouthpiece may need to be constructed. The muscle spasms can also come from otrher sources than just the tmj's.