Varicose vein & saphenous vein valve grossly incompent. Foot tingly/leg heavy now 6hr later top of thigh throbbing. In bed last 4hrs. Worry?

Dr. James Brockenbrough
Surgery - Thoracic

You chronic venous insufficiency by history.
You are at increased risk for pulmonary embolism. You should be evaluated for DVT. This can be done non-invasively with an venous ultrasound. Because of you symptoms, I would see a physician as soon as you can.

In brief: Venous reflux

It would be prudent to seek a Duplex venous scan to rule out DVT.
Most likely, this is related to the venous insufficiency. Once DVT is excluded, given known underlying reflux involving the saphenous vein, you should wear stockings regularly or seek a phlebologist who can treat you with endovenous ablation using laser or a radiofrequency device.

In brief: Venous reflux

Dr. Mark Pack
Board Certified, Surgery