How do I treat insomnia? I'm dying to have a good night sleep.

In brief: Good sleep hygiene

1. Keep regular bed & wakening time (even weekends).
Get up same time daily. 2. Use regular, relaxing bedtime routine: warm bath / shower, aromatherapy, reading, or listening to gentle music. 3. Sleep in dark, quiet, cool room w comfy mattress & pillows. 4. Bedroom only for sleep & sex. Put work materials, computers, & TVs in another room. 5. Finish eating at least 2-3 hrs prior to bed. >

In brief: Good sleep hygiene

2 comments
6. No caffeine w/i 6 hours; alcohol & smoking w/i 2 hrs of bed. 7. Exercise regularly; finish a few hrs before bedtime.8. No naps. Retire only when tired. 9. Find another time to write down problems & solutions.10. After 10-15 mins of inability to sleep, go to another room & read or watch TV until sleepy. Consider acupuncture, chamomile tea, warm milk or melatonin.
Dr. James Sterner
Heidi is all over it. Sleep hygiene is very important. "Bedroom only for sleep & sex." People laugh when I tell them that, but it is completely true.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Insomnia means

You are having difficulty sleeping.
Often it is due to stress and the inability to let go of worries and sleep. In addition to medications there are relaxation techniques and sleep rituals which can help you relax and get a good night's sleep. Speak with your physician and consider meeting with a psychologist to learn relaxation techniques. Hypnosis is easy to learn and a quick way to get relief.

In brief: Insomnia means

You are having difficulty sleeping.
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Barbara Lavi
Dr. Jane Van Dis