Small lateral malleolus fx from 4-2012; ankle pain up to mid calf (burn/ache/etc). Ortho said ?peroneal nerve entrap? & could do surgery. Now or wait?

Dr. David Trettin
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Wait

Did you have Emg/ ncv's of your lower extremities?If you did and it confirms peroneal nerve entrapment then release may be helpful.
This is a fairly unusual nerve entrapment syndrome,however, and unless the pain is worsening I would wait and see if it doesn't improve. Also, regional pain syndrome( RSD) can cause similar symptoms and should be ' ruled out'.best of luck!

In brief: Wait

Dr. Joshua Batt
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Depends on you

Leg pain has many different causes.
It depends on how bad your pain is. Many would recommend if you can tolerate the pain, avoid the surgery. If it is intolerable, then work with the doctor to find a solution.

In brief: Depends on you

Leg pain has many different causes.