I take Namenda (memantine) 10mg once a day but have not noticed an improvement, just noticed that it has gotten worse. It has been a month, when does it kick in?

Dr Lynne Weixel
Clinical Psychology

In brief: Step-by-step

The mfg suggests a weekly step up over a month from once a day 5mg thru twice a day 10mg.
So, your dose is only half that. Also, it is intended for Alzheimer's not vascular - so, it might not be the best for you depending on your condition. Your doctor is the best person to discuss this all with. It's follow-up to the prescribing. Best!

In brief: Step-by-step

Dr Lynne Weixel
Dr Lynne Weixel
Dr Gurdeep Sareen
Pharmacology

In brief: Up to 3 months

Namenda (memantine) can take UP to 12 weeks to take effect.
However, I would provide feedback to the prescriber to keep the information loop updated.

In brief: Up to 3 months

Dr Gurdeep Sareen
Dr Gurdeep Sareen
Dr Eric Weisman