How is cyberknife radiosurgery different from other radiosurgery systems?

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Robotic Radiosurgery

Cyberknife is the only robotic radiosurgery system fda approved to this date.
The robotic nature of the system allows for tracking the tumor during delivery of radiation. Other radiosurgery systems do a good job/similar treating stationary targets (targets in the brain). For tumors outside of brain, other systems often use gating to turn system on/off during delivery of radiation.

In brief: Robotic Radiosurgery

Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. Reza Shirazi
Dr. James Urbanic
Radiation Oncology

In brief: The M.D. matters

Just be careful not to get sucked up by marketing of a particular machine.
That is an unpleasant part of modern medicine. Find the best team you can with lots of experience rather than a particular machine.

In brief: The M.D. matters

Dr. James Urbanic
Dr. James Urbanic
2 comments
Dr. Joshua Garren
True, but you also have to watch out for hospital administrators pressuring physicians to deliver radiosurgery with machines not really designed for the task. I don't know about True Beam, but having worked with Novalis, Trilogy, Gamma Knife, and Radionics, I would pay good money out of my pocket to have a Cyberknife treatment, if my loved one were on the table. Wouldn't you?
Dr. Joshua Lawson
Not me. I wouldn't pay good (or any) money for any one machine over another. I'm with Dr Urbanic. Pick a doctor/treatment team that you trust and the machine becomes irrelevant.
Dr. Joshua Garren
Radiation Oncology

In brief: Like magic :)

Have you ever burned a leaf on a hot summer's day using a magnifying glass? Cyberknife is a lot like that, but even more so, because if focuses radiation from all different directions.
Cyberknife is also particularly cool in that it can follow your tumor during treatment and can actually follow your tumor if your tumor moves.

In brief: Like magic :)

Dr. Joshua Garren
Dr. Joshua Garren
2 comments
Dr. James Urbanic
No magic except in marketing. Find a experienced M.D. with lots of radiosurgery experience rather than buying into machine oriented hype
Dr. Joshua Garren
The "Magic" comment was meant as humor (note the smiley face). But all radiosurgery seems magical to me: the ability to destroy something deep inside you with negligible effect on the surrounding tissue. Still, the ability of Cyberknife to follow your tumor seems like an added level of magic. And both you and I are lucky to live in this miraculous era of medicine.