What are blue balls?

Here is my take ... Blue ball syndrome is referred to feeling ill-defined "irritating" tension / ache in the testes or the sac "resulting from sexual arousal with poor coursing to orgasm. This term first appeared in the US in early 20th Century, have been sporadically discussed in layperson publication or conversation, & finally discussed in a pediatric journal in 2000. Its incidence and reality have not well defined.
Familiar. A guy knows about this once he's experienced it, especially if he's tried "edging". Prolonged sexual arousal without ejaculation produces discomfort that's experienced as referred pain to the testes. During arousal, the seminal vesicles in particular produce extra fluid that must compress the nearby genitofemoral nerve, since the copious ejaculation instantly relieves the pain.