Groin pain from playing football, what to do?

RICE. Very complicated subject.First you need a good physical examination by a Dr spec ialized in sports medicine.There are many causes for groin pain the most common is a plain strain of your inner thigh muscles(Adductors)and respond to conservative management with RICE,you can add local antiinflamatory medication and otc medications such as aleve (naproxen) etc,if not better see the dr.
Check hip. Groin pain is usually coming from the hip so have it checked. If you sit on a kitchen chair with the hip and knee bent 90 degree and rotate the thigh by swinging foot right and left and the motion initiates or mimick your pain, it is definitely your hip.Disc problem at L4-L5, furcal nerve irritation can also give groin (testicular) pain,