My daughter is almost 8 months and diagnosed with moderate to severe sleep apnea. She is on prevacid (lansoprazole) for acid reflux is this the cause of the apnea?

Dr. David Astrachan
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery

In brief: Very unusual

If i understand this correctly your eight month old child has significant sleep apnea.
This is very unusual but can sometimes occur in the face of enlarged adenoids and tonsils. Reflux can always make things worse, but reflux by itself usually will not cause such significant apnea. If you have not already taken your child to a pediatric ENT doctor you should.

In brief: Very unusual

Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. David Astrachan
Dr. James Donley
My understanding is that sleep apnea can result in acid reflux due to the negative pressures in the airway that are associated with attempts to breath that are inhibited by an obstruction. If tonsils are involved a pediatric ENT consult is definitely needed.
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

In brief: My opinion,no

Apnea in anyone is due to compromised activity in brainstem control mehanisms.
Please go to my blog "oxygen, the spark of life" look at earlier posts.I always have a deep respect for apnea, particularly in an infant.

In brief: My opinion,no

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Dennis Higginbotham