Is my wrist broken or sprained? Snapped it back while lifting heavy weight. Next morning, I can't flex it back but can forward, and can type w/o pain

Dr. Gregory Harvey
Orthopedic Surgery

In brief: Sprain

It may be just a sprain.
It you are able to move it and there is minimal swelling a fracture is unlikely. However if it remains painful a x-ray would be a good idea.

In brief: Sprain

It may be just a sprain.
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Gregory Harvey
Dr. Bac Nguyen

In brief: More likely sprained

If it is broken, you would be in much pain with bending forward or backward.
.Also, fracture typically causes quite a bit of pain immediately. Also, the mechanisim of your injury (the way it was injured) suggests a sprain. Gentle range of motion, some motrin/aleve may help. If it worsens, call doc for eval. Good luck.

In brief: More likely sprained

Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Bac Nguyen
Dr. Warren Strudwick
Board Certified, Sports Medicine