The doctors believe my in law has temporal arteritis. Could you please explain a little more?

Blood vessel inflam! Temporal arteritis is s serious and potential life threating inflammatory reaction in the walls of the temporal artery, and elsewhere, that can occlude, causing stroke, blindness, paralysis.It is a variant of giant cell arteritis and is usually dxed with biopsy and/or mra. Older treaments used high-dose steroids, ie. Prednisone. Recently the tnf-a inhibitors, Humira and Enbrel (etanercept) have shown efficacy!
Temporal arteritis. Temporal arteritis is inflammation and damage to large and medium arteries that branch from the neck and supply the temporal area, mostly affecting people over 50. It is also called giant cell arteritis, reflecting the type of inflammatory cells seen microscopically, and can involve arteries of large and medium sizes in any parts of the body. Without treatment, it can lead to vision loss.
Head arteries. Vascular inflammatio this is an inflammation of the lining of the arteries supplying the head. It is an older folks problem and can be quite serious including loss of vision. Diagnosis is by elevated blood sedimentation rate, physical examination and occasional biopsy. Treatment usually is higher dose steroids and it can last for a number of years. It is not contagious.
Vascular inflammatio. This is an inflammation of the lining of the arteries supplying the head. It is an older folks problem and can be quite serious including loss of vision. Diagnosis is by elevated blood sedimentation rate, physical examination and occasional biopsy. Treatment usually is higher dose steroids and it can last for a number of years.