I got red bumps on the back of my tongue big and smal. They hurt and make it hard to eat. What could it be?

Dr. Gary Highfill
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Tongue issues
The back of the tongue has different size "bumps" that are normal.
Inflammation of these papillae can occur from various problems. I would start with basic oral hygiene. Brushing the teeth and using an alcohol free mouthwash at least twice a day. Use a tongue scraper if there is build up on the tongue. If this doesn't improve things then an evaluation is important to find out what is going on.

In brief: Tongue issues
Dr. Gary Highfill
Dr. Gary Highfill
Dr. Robert Knox
Many of the bumps are normally present on the back of the tongue, but they generally don't hurt unless an irritant is present, such as acid reflux or chronic mouth breathing. Go see your doctor or dentist for an exam.
Dr. Robert Knox
ENT - Head & Neck Surgery
In brief: Bumps on Tongue
Taste buds called circumvallate papillae are usually the "bumps" on the back of the tongue.
They are present in all of us, but they only hurt when an irritant or virus is present, most commonly the irritants are acid reflux or drying due to mouth breathing associated with a stopped up nose. Try gargling with warm salt water, 1/4 tsp / 16 ounces, four times a day. See what happens.

In brief: Bumps on Tongue
Dr. Robert Knox
Dr. Robert Knox