What is the best thing to take for cronic constipation other than laxatives?

Dr. Eric Kaplan
Surgery - Colorectal
In brief: Fluids
Drinking 80-100 ounces of non caffeinated non alcoholic fluid daily will correct most chronic constipation issues in 2-3 weeks, but you have to continue the regimen from that point on.

In brief: Fluids
Dr. Eric Kaplan
Dr. Eric Kaplan
In brief: Other approach
One of the best programs for bowel rehab focuses less on intake and more on schedule.
Stool that spends too much time in the large intestine tends to dry & bulk up. Some people have developed a slow emptying pattern that perpetuated the process. I find that those who plan scheduled evacuations, several times a day, regardless of urges, can improve the rhythm & effectiveness. Takes ~ 6mo but helps.

In brief: Other approach
Dr. Jonathan Jassey