My dad was a veteran. He never went to the va hospital, but I am wondering if that would have been better as he got older. How good are they?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology
In brief: Been there
I worked at vas 20 years ago and have patients that go there now.
The va system can provide excellent care but there are compromises:you must sometimes wait to be seen, the drug formulary is limited (but free!), and you may see different doctors at visits. Nonetheless there are excellent doctors there and if you get one you like, you're golden!

In brief: Been there
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Erin Robertson
General Practice
In brief: On the upswing
This is an exciting time to be part of the VA system. They have always had quaternary care teaching hospital physician faculty available for patient care.
Given the huge bolus of veterans returning, additional efforts are being made to optimize veteran-centered care. Undersecretary Clancy has been very aggressive with this. Check out http://www.va.gov/HEALTH/docs/VHA_Blueprint_for_Excellence.pdf

In brief: On the upswing
Dr. Erin Robertson
Dr. Erin Robertson
Dr. Jonathan Jassey