Do people with RLS experience a typical pattern of symptoms?

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Internal Medicine - Sleep Medicine

In brief: Typical pattern

Rls symptoms are an urge to move or discomfort in the legs at night.
Movement improves symptoms and inactivity makes them worse. Generally stays the same or worsen with age.

In brief: Typical pattern

Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Michelle Zetoony
Dr. Lornell Hansen
Phlebology

Most patients will notice symptoms start once they start to slow down for the evening.
Some will have symptoms start if they are watching tv and others will be at bedtime. It tends to be similar symptoms most nights and can vary depending on their activity during the day. I feel all patients suffering from RLS should have an duplex ultrasound to evaluate for venous insufficiency.

Dr. Lornell Hansen
Dr. Lornell Hansen
2 comments
Dr. Lornell Hansen
The reason I recommend to screen for venous insufficiency is that studies show 50 to 80% of patients with RLS will have underlying chronic venous insufficiency. I have treated the venous insufficiency on many patients and the RLS symptoms have either improved or resolved. Some have come off of medications for RLS. Hope this helps.
Dr. Ted King
There is a specific set of questions about RLS that has been written by the International RLS Study Group. If you can answer yes to all four of questions your leg symptoms, then you have RLS. You can find the features of RLS at http://irlssg.org/ As Dr. Hansen said, if you have RLS, you should have a venous evaluation. At least 35% of RLS patients have vein disease and vein treatment helps.
Dr. Ted King
Phlebology

In brief: Very much so

There is a specific set of questions about RLS that has been written by the international RLS study group.
If you can answer yes to all four of questions your leg symptoms, then you have rls. You can find the features of RLS at http://irlssg.Org/. As dr. Hansen said, if you have rls, you should have a venous evaluation. At least 35% of RLS patients have vein disease and vein treatment helps.

In brief: Very much so

Dr. Ted King
Dr. Ted King
Dr. Dennis Clifford
It's also important to have your iron levels checked since low iron is associated with RLS as well.