I know there are some shaken babies that die but what is the main cause of sids?

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Preventive Medicine

In brief: Crib position

The supine position has helped but there are still cases that occur without general explanation.
My colleagues and i and other workers worked on this many years ago and showed that a deficiency of vitamin b1 and magnesium were a common cause. It requires knowledge of warnng symptoms but most siids are found dead in the crib.

In brief: Crib position

Dr. Derrick Lonsdale
Dr. Derrick Lonsdale

In brief: Separate issues

We suggest that any unexpected death be investigated with a formal autopsy.
This easily eliminated shaken baby as a cause, since SIDS excludes this by definition. We understand there are many factors that seem to contribute. An immature ventilation/breathing cycle is one idea. Then there are influences like sleeping position, smoking, prematurity, poverty, etc. W still don't know for sure.

In brief: Separate issues

Dr. Natalie Hodge

In brief: Brainstem problem

Some of the latest research suggests that a brainstem abnormality prevents baby from recovering when more oxygen is needed.
The hippocampus is an area of focus for research. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=185460

In brief: Brainstem problem

Dr. Natalie Hodge
Dr. Natalie Hodge