Radiologists please answer. How do you diagnose placental abruption?

Dr. Miguel Cano
In brief: They can't
Abruption is not always seen on ultrasound.
Typically it is associated with bleeding, cramping or painful contractions, or significant pain. It's also the diagnosis of exclusion if all other reasons of bleeding are eliminated. Radiologist can usually see a large placental separation, but rarely is this the first sign of an abruption. Ct scans & mris are not used for this purpose. I hope this helps.

In brief: They can't
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Miguel Cano
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Obstetrics & Gynecology - Maternal Fetal Medicine
In brief: Abruption
The diagnosis of a placental abruption is made through clinical signs and symptoms.
It is not usually seen with imaging.

In brief: Abruption
It is not usually seen with imaging.
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen
Dr. Marilynn Frederiksen