Concaved chest - pectus excavatum, can I have chest implants/plastic surgery?

Dr. Adam Schaffner
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Consider all options
Yes, a concave chest may be treated with implants.
It is important to consider the underlying cause and ensure that the treatment treats the cause as well as the cosmetic appearance.

In brief: Consider all options
Dr. Adam Schaffner
Dr. Adam Schaffner
Dr. Barry Press
Surgery - Plastics
Depending on the magnitude of the pectus excavatum, there are a variety of surgical procedures and/or implants that can be used to correct this.
I would suggest seeing a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Good luck!

Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Barry Press
Dr. Tom Pousti
Surgery - Plastics
In brief: Pectus Excavatum
Assuming the pectus excavatum does not cause functional ( cardiopulmonary) restrictions, there are a few options to improve the aesthetic appearance of the chest wall.
Custom made silicone implants are an option for both sexes and the use of breast implants may be helpful for women.

In brief: Pectus Excavatum
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Tom Pousti
Dr. Eric Toloza
Surgery - Thoracic
In brief: Yes, but
Best correction would be to raise the sternum, either by disarticulating the costal cartilages (nuss procedure) or by removing the costal cartilages (ravitch procedure).
Chest implants only correct the cosmetic appearance of the chest, but not the problem with the sunken sternum.

In brief: Yes, but
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Eric Toloza
Dr. Aaron Milstone
Board Certified, Internal Medicine - Pulmonology