What is mitral regurgitation and prolapse?

Different things. I think of mitral valve prolapse as a description of how the valve closes (the leaflets bow into the atrium). Regurgitation is actual leaking of blood back in the atrium. You can have prolapse without regurgitation. And not everyone with regurgitation has prolapse. There is a group of patients that develop regurge from prolapse, but not everyone.
MVP and MR. The mitral valve separates the left atrium and ventricle. Prolapse means that when the valve is in the closed position (when the heart is contracting), the leaflets bulge beyond the limits of the left ventricle and into the left atrium. With this bulging may come actual separation of the leaflets which no longer are fully closed and allow blood to "leak/squirt" into the atrium (regurgitation).