If I have features of Parkinson's disease does this mean I have Parkinson's disease?

Jae Won Joh
Emergency Medicine

In brief: Not necessarily

While parkinson's disease does have a "classic" or "typical" set of symptoms, these symptoms can also be caused by drugs, toxins, trauma, etc.
The only way to determine whether you truly have parkinson's disease is to see a physician (e.g. Neurologist) who will ask you about your symptoms and perform a physical exam to see if your symptoms are consistent with parkinson's disease.

In brief: Not necessarily

Jae Won Joh
Jae Won Joh
Answer assisted by Jae Won Joh, Medical Student
Dr. William Gaya
Neurology

In brief: Parkinson's disease

The diagnosis of parkinson's decease (pd) is a clinical diagnosis.
It means it's only established by a clinician, a person with proper training in identifying the signs and symptoms of parkinson's disease. There could be other conditions with similar presentation. I suggest that you see a neurologist to validate your symptoms and establish the correct diagnosis and treatment for you.

In brief: Parkinson's disease

Dr. William Gaya
Dr. William Gaya