Two part ? Whats the difference bettween an EMG and nerve conduction test AND is it more painful or less if you have nerve damage?

Dr. Mark Fisher
Neurology

In brief: There are two parts

Nerve conduction study: Electrodes are put on skin over a nerve.
Mild electric shocks (not painful) cause axons to transmit action potentials (nerve impulses). Velocity & amplitude (speed & strength) of impulses are measured. This measures nerve's function. Electromyogram: Needle electrodes are stuck in muscles innervated by a nerve. Electrical activity of muscle => data on nerve function.

In brief: There are two parts

Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Mark Fisher
Dr. Tony Trpkovski

In brief: Emg

As far as I know EMG and nerve conduction study are one in the same .
There is some pain and yes if you have a nerve injury and the area is already inflamed it could hurt more. The test is important to help figure out what's the source of your pain. :)

In brief: Emg

Dr. Tony Trpkovski
Dr. Tony Trpkovski
Dr. Vikram Patel