Will I be able to have children if I have myasthenia gravis?

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Internal Medicine - Allergy & Immunology
It simply puts you into a higher risk pregnancy that you can work with your ob/gyn to manage with appropriate planning.

Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Jack Mutnick
Dr. Sheila Goodman
In brief: Yes but complicated
Myasthenia gravis is an autoimmune disease that affects the muscles.
It doesn't affect fertility but can complicate pregnancy. Complications include worsening of m.G., breathing problems, pre-eclampsia, m.G. In infant, prematurity and increased risk of birth defects. You shouldn't get pregnant within the first 2 years after your diagnosis. Before getting pregnant, you should discuss with your md.

In brief: Yes but complicated
Dr. Sheila Goodman
Dr. Sheila Goodman