What are the pros and cons of pacifiers?

Dr. Thad Woodard
In brief: Few if any cons
In general infants are pacified by sucking and a pacifier can really help infants that are calmed by sucking, in my experience pacifiers rarely interfere with breast feeding and since they can easily be removed when needed are preferable to sucking on fingers/thumbs.

In brief: Few if any cons
Dr. Thad Woodard
Dr. Thad Woodard
Dr. Michael Amster
In brief: Some of both
Pacifiers seem to cause a great deal of angst in some, and be a life saver for others.
Babies like to suck, and some really like to suck. For those, unless you want to feed them every 30 min or so, pacifiers are a great good. There is also clear evidence they prevent sids. There is concern that pacifiers given too early can hinder breast feeding, and weaning off the pacifier later is not fun.

In brief: Some of both
Dr. Michael Amster
Dr. Michael Amster