Can osteoporosis or osteopenia cause a compression fracture in the vertebrae?

Yes. Osteopenia or osteoporosis can cause vertebral compression fractures, which can be spontaneous. Also, trauma can cause these fractures.
Yes. Osteoporosis by definition is further bone loss as compared to osteopenia. A patient's fracture risk would be higher with osteoporosis then osteopenia but both increase a person's risk for fracture and that would include fractures of the vertebrae and certainly other areas such as the hip and wrist.