Is low folate (folic acid) why babies have cleft lip and palate?

Not known. There are neural tube defects related to low folate (folic acid) levels during pregnancy but cleft lip and palate is principally felt to be related to environmental toxins and/ or genetic inheritance. Folic acid deficiency is still being investigated as a possible cause.
May be. In experimental rats it has been shown that folate (folic acid) deficiency causes increased incidence of clefting of the face. Some people tried to extrapolate in human and feels giving extra Folic Acid during preganancy reduces the chance of having babies with cleft. But this has not been proven yet by clinical trial scientifically.