What is spinal muscular atrophy with respiratory distress?

Serious disease. Spinal muscular atrophy is a group of inherited diseases that cause muscle damage and weakness which get worse over time. The most severe form starts in infancy. Milder forms can start in adolescence or adulthood. All types of sma cause weak muscles and difficulty breathing. It can be hard to take deep breaths and to cough effectively. This results in frequent infections and respiratory distress.
Muscles need nerves. Our muscles need the nerves that supply them or they get weak and "atropy." if the breathing muscles get so weak, then one can not breath and will have respiratory distress where the body can not move air or get rid of air. Hope this helps! take care!