How do I care for my newborn's nails?

In brief: Sandpaper

A grandmother showed me once how easy it was to take off the snags on baby fingernails using a 1 by 2 inch piece of sandpaper. Simply face the rough side to the nail & pass it across with minimal pressure & the snag is gone in seconds.
Two hands can be done in a minute. Emery boards take off too much skin and nail nippers can take off fingertips-yuck.I keep 120 grade wet/dry paper at the office.

In brief: Sandpaper

In brief: Gently, gently.

If you can file them, go for it.
You can also clip them but do so very carefully with infant nail clippers. I often get calls from parents who have accidentally clipped the skin no matter how steady their hands.

In brief: Gently, gently.

If you can file them, go for it.
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson
Dr. Scott J. Wolfson