How much does orthognathic surgery (jaw alignment surgery) hurt?

Dr. James Sunwoo
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Orthognathic Surgery
With any type of surgery, there is bound to be some associated discomfort.
Usually, a good postoperative pain regimen can alleviate most of that pain. Oddly enough, the chief complaint after orthognathic surgery is seldom pain. Hope this helps.

In brief: Orthognathic Surgery
Dr. James Sunwoo
Dr. James Sunwoo
Dr. Bruce Pope
Ditto. I have assisted and attended rounds with many orthognathic surgery patients and was surprised to hear and see pain was not a major complaint.
Dr. James Bates
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Surprisingly little!
These days, with contemporary anesthesia and pain control, even major jaw surgery results in minimal to moderate pain.
In the past, as the other doctor mentioned, there was more pain than today. However, there are still a great many very annoying problems with orthognathic surgery, including a lot of swelling, facial and oral numbness, nasal and sinus congestion and drainage, and a liquid diet.

In brief: Surprisingly little!
Dr. James Bates
Dr. James Bates
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Orthopedic Surgery - Reconstruction
In brief: Depends
While I do not perform the surgery, i was a patient once, so please understand that my information is anecdotal at best.
The recovery is long, and i definitely remember being miserable for the first 2 weeks. The swelling took months to resolve. I had the surgery over 20 yrs ago and now I am happy i proceeded. Your surgeon can give you more balanced info than i can.

In brief: Depends
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
Dr. Christopher Hajnik
2 comments
Dr. Brian Dorfman
As a surgeon who performs these procedures regularly I can assure you there is only about 2-3 weeks of major swelling. Some residual swelling may be around for a couple more weeks. Steroids help tremendously with the swelling which in turn keeps the discomfort to a minimum. The more involved the procedure the more swelling occurs I.e. multiple cue maxima mandible and chin
Dr. Brian Dorfman
Sorry, Typo. More swelling with multi-piece maxilla, mandible and chin
Dr. Louis Gallia
Surgery - Oral & Maxillofacial
In brief: Mild-moderate
Less than expected considering the magnitude of the procedure.
Dr. Bates explains very well.

In brief: Mild-moderate
Dr. Bates explains very well.
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Louis Gallia
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management
In brief: Jaw surgery pain
Most patients have only moderate pain after orthognathic jaw surgery.
Discomfort after your orthognathic jaw surgery can be easily managed with pain medication. A few patients will describe severe pain, and this is likely due to individual pain tolerance. This pain usually subsides in 7-14 days but in rare circumstances may persist for weeks or months after surgery.

In brief: Jaw surgery pain
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Buck Parker
Board Certified, Surgery