Is it true that depression can cause muscle & joint pain?

Yes, somatic symptom. Yes it can. In otherwise healthy adults, depression often presents to primary docs as physical symptoms such as muscle/joint pain, headaches, insmonia etc...Some people do have muscle/joint pain as in arthritis/fibromyalgia and depression can make those symptoms worse--more noticeable to the patient. So, i would recommend a follow-up eval with your doc and express your concerns. Good luck.
Depression/pain. Studies show increased somatic complaints in depression, primarily skeletal, headaches, & gi.