Do we die when we inject air into viens using syringe?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Amount?

Remember that the veins are carrying oxygen-poor blood back to the lungs.
Small amounts of air are quickly incorporated into the de-oxygenated hemoglobin which is "oxygen hungry". Air in the veins is generally well tolerated. It is not tolerated at all when injected into an artery. Even a tiny amount results in "air embolism" which paradoxically deprives served tissues of oxygen carried by blood.

In brief: Amount?

Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Bennett Werner
Dr. Paul Williams

In brief: Injecting air

Not a good idea - small amounts of air - what might be trapped in a syringe usually isnt a problem but large volumes - 20-30 cc can cause an air embolism and death.

In brief: Injecting air

Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Paul Williams
Dr. Bennett Werner
I didn't see Dr. Williams answer before I answered but I agree completely with his answer. Notice that I labeled my answer: "Amount?".
Dr. Umesh Patel