What causes irritable bowel syndrome and do you have it the rest of your life?

IBS. … is not a disease, as much as an abnormality of the function of your digestive tract. We do not know what causes it, and do not have a "cure" for it. Things that can help include increasing the amount of fiber in your diet and noting whether any particular foods make your symptoms worse, and obviously avoiding those if so. If it is still a problem in your daily life, then you should see your physician to discuss it.