My heart almost stopped several times while under anesthesia - what sorts of things can cause this?

Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Rarely occurs

There are multiple causes, including overdose of anaesthetic medications, low blood pressure, and inadequate delivery of oxygen, just to name a few.
General anesthesia, like any other medical procedure is not without risk.

In brief: Rarely occurs

Dr. Neil Manago
Anesthesiology

In brief: Could be?

Your heart "almost stopping" could refer to few things.
Heart rate getting very slow, arrhythmia causing ineffective and/or slow normal beats. Some congenital conditions may predispose you to arrhythmia and conduction disorders. Surgical stimulus may cause slowed heart rate due to vagus nerve stimulation depending on location of surgery. So depends on what exactly is meant

In brief: Could be?

Dr. Anthony Pollizzi
Anesthesiology

In brief: Discuss

i would discuss this with the surgeon and the anesthesiologist ; very rare event under GA in a 30 y/o

In brief: Discuss

Dr. William Jenkins
Anesthesiology

In brief: If you could

Be more specific, saying your heart almost stopped doesn't mean anything to me.

In brief: If you could

Dr. Umesh Patel
Board Certified, Preventive Medicine