If my EKG was irregular (sinus tach from a "normal place" my cardiologist tells me)....And the echocardiogram was fine, do I have atrial filb? Help?

Dr. Sumit Kalra
Internal Medicine - Cardiology

In brief: Tachycardia

The ekg is the best way to diagnose atrial fibrillation.
If your cardiologist has diagnosed it as sinus tachycardia, then it's not atrial fibrillation. Sometimes the heart beat can be irregular even with sinus rhythm, due to respiration or some extra beats.

In brief: Tachycardia

Dr. Sumit Kalra
Dr. Sumit Kalra
Dr. Katharine Garnier

In brief: No

If you have seen a cardiologist and had this evaluated with an ekg, holter monitor and an echocardiogram and they said you have "sinus tach" with a normal focus, then you do not have atrial fibrillation.
You should avoid stimulants, like caffeine, decongestants and diet pills or "energy drinks" to minimize the sinus tach, and they may put you on a medication to block it if it is frequent.

In brief: No

Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Katharine Garnier
Dr. Vicken Poochikian