What are non-surgical treatments for trigeminal neuralgia?

Dr. James Goodrich
Neurosurgery

In brief: Trigeminal neuralgia

There are a number of medications available that treat TN in addition the Gamma Knife, a radiation source has also been added to the treatment protocols.

In brief: Trigeminal neuralgia

Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. James Goodrich
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Why do we blame just the TG nerve? Why not the facial nerve? Why are the treatments all over the place? Why are there treatment failure? The answer I have come up with is that TN in not what we think it is. TN is name give to an array of bizarre presentations of the great pain masquerader, myofascial pain and dysfunction (MFP&D). The hallmarks are no set pain patterns or txmt protocols.
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Neurology

In brief: Several

Medications (oxcarbazepine, carbamazepine, gabapentin, pregabalin, eslicarbazepine).
Others have tried biofeedback, acupuncture, botox, and chiropractic, with mixed success. There is more- you should search for an md who specializes in facial pain.

In brief: Several

Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Jeffrey Cohen
Dr. Eric Weisman
Trileptal also works (for those who convert Tegretol to the 10-11 epoxide) I've found that Vimpat and Lamictal can also be used.
Dr. Adam Hebb
Neurosurgery

In brief: Needle procedures

Minimal surgery option exist, such as percutaneous trigeminal rhyzolysis and balloon microcompression.
These are highly successful.

In brief: Needle procedures

These are highly successful.
Dr. Adam Hebb
Dr. Adam Hebb
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Hello Dr, I have researched this disease for a while in some of my older textbooks and they actually raises concerns about the actually validity of the name “TN” as an accurate diagnosis. The face, head and neck is a bewildering complex array of sensory and motor nerves of mastication and expression. Why blame just the TG nerve? Why not the facial nerve? So I'm not convinced that TN is truth.
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues

In brief: Consider Acupuncture

Tn overlap with myofascial patterns.
Don't wait to start care the pain can make you wish you were dead! think flesh/tissue and not nerves for face pain! begin a self-care wellness program of vits, magnesium glycinate, sleep hygiene, self/pro massage, chiropractor, heat, epsom soaking, stretching. I use acupuncture! see my new view note in health files.

In brief: Consider Acupuncture

Tn overlap with myofascial patterns.
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Dr. Stephen Rodrigues
Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Neurosurgery

In brief: Medication

Medical therapy with Neurontin (gabapentin) or Trileptal or Dilantin or tegretol can be quite successful in controlling the pain of trig neuralgia.

In brief: Medication

Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Dr. Mark Eisenberg
Dr. Alexander Mauskop
Destruction of the trigeminal ganglion with a radiofrequency probe can be very effective. Technically, it is not surgery because it involves only insertion of a needle, but it is an invasive procedure.
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Neurosurgery

In brief: Meds

There are a number of medications can are used as the first treatment.

In brief: Meds

Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Kevin Vaught
Dr. Paul Grin
Pain Management

In brief: Medical Management

Non -surgical treatment modalities: 1.
Pharmacological treatment (AED medications). 2. Cognitive Behavior Therapy (biofeedback and hypnosis). 3. Alternative medicine (acupuncture). Patients with TN do not respond to conventional analgesic drugs and TN remains a rather unique neuropathic pain problem.

In brief: Medical Management

Non -surgical treatment modalities: 1.
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Paul Grin
Dr. Jonathan Jassey