Why is child obesity more common in lower income families than in higher income households?

Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology

In brief: Cheap food

Many reasons: cheap food is one.
Salmon is $11.99 a pound and most fast food places have a "dollar menu." exercise is one: higher ses families can afford sports/lessons/gym/etc. Knowledge is one: an understanding of the problem and the education to know that prevention is vip. There are many more, I am sure, but not much room here...

In brief: Cheap food

Many reasons: cheap food is one.
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Kevin Windisch

In brief: Lack of education

Many low income familes lack education as to what is healthy versus less healthy food.
When asked about their diet, many low income families think that their diet is pretty healthy when that is not the truth.

In brief: Lack of education

Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch