Why is child obesity more common in lower income families than in higher income households?

Dr. Maureen Mays
Clinical Lipidology
In brief: Cheap food
Many reasons: cheap food is one.
Salmon is $11.99 a pound and most fast food places have a "dollar menu." exercise is one: higher ses families can afford sports/lessons/gym/etc. Knowledge is one: an understanding of the problem and the education to know that prevention is vip. There are many more, I am sure, but not much room here...

In brief: Cheap food
Many reasons: cheap food is one.
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Maureen Mays
Dr. Kevin Windisch
In brief: Lack of education
Many low income familes lack education as to what is healthy versus less healthy food.
When asked about their diet, many low income families think that their diet is pretty healthy when that is not the truth.

In brief: Lack of education
Dr. Kevin Windisch
Dr. Kevin Windisch